Sunday, June 10, 2012

Grandma's Phlox


A sure sign of summer in the garden is the pink phlox blooming in my wildflower garden.


At the same time, the lilacs bloom, the Swallowtail Butterflies return and summer gardening begins.  The phlox has always been one of my favorites for the macro lens. The tiny delicate pink flowers contrasting with the green stems make them perfect for a shallow depth of field and they appear to float above the greenery. 


The little pink phlox reminds me of my Grandma and makes me smile.  The gardens in her neighborhood always contained these beautiful mounds of pink flowers.  She was an avid gardener, first on the farm out of necessity and later in the city because of her love of gardening. When we moved to the acerage I had asked her for a little piece of this flower to plant in my first flower bed.  I didn’t realize it at the time because she had so many flowers, but she didn’t have any phlox in her yard but the library down the street and the neighbors did have mounds of it. 

SONY DSC

I never did find out where mine came from. Grandma’s been gone for many years now, but I’m always reminded of her when the phlox booms.

And speaking of wildflowers, I found this little guy sitting on one of the wild violets.


Sharing with 
studio waterstone

9 comments:

Karen @ Pieces of Contentment said...

Gorgeous little flowers. Such a pretty colour.

Hootin Anni said...

simply STUNNING!!!

Birgitta said...

Beautiful pink flowers! Like the little fly too :) Great shots.

Cecilia Artista said...

Beautiful flowers with wonderful colors!

Anonymous said...

Fabulous macros shots -- It's nice that this flower brings you find memories.

Thank you so much for sharing at Your Sunday Best this week. xoxo

Unknown said...

Beautiful shots!

Sharyl said...

Love how the colors blend here! Just beautiful! And always enjoy hearing when a flower bring a memory of a special one along with it's blooms!

Michelle said...

Beautiful!

Maryann Miller said...

Beautifully artistic images! Love what the texture did here! That bug at the end is a robber fly I believe. I caught one this week (camera caught) and had bugguide.net ID it for me.